ALL ABOUT PAINTING CARS WITH LIQUID RUBBER
Painting a car is a complex business that requires special equipment, premises and selection of paints. Therefore there is a substance which is called liquid rubber for a car and possesses unique properties – it is easy to apply and serves long. Let’s tell what it is and how to paint the car with rubber by the hands.
WHAT IT IS AND FOR WHAT IT IS NEEDED.
Users describe liquid rubber as a hybrid of conventional automotive paint and vinyl coating. Such properties make it popular because it successfully combines the useful qualities of both materials, and the shortcomings are smoothed out and do not manifest too actively.
Liquid rubber is a mixture based on bitumen and polymeric materials. It has the following characteristics:
- Excellent elasticity of the layer.
- High durability.
- Ability to bond firmly to a variety of materials – from metal and glass to plastic.
- High level of adhesion allows the use of liquid rubber on inclined surfaces and parts with complex contours.
- Seamless, uniform coating.
- No leaks or overflows.
This substance is used not only for quick painting of the machine, but also as a reliable waterproofing layer. It is used not only in the automotive industry, but also in electronics as a waterproofing and dustproofing substance, as well as a high-quality joint sealant.
WHICH CAN BE ALSO USED BY MANUFACTURERS
The feature of liquid rubber is the presence of various textures. It can be glossy and matt, and the color range knows no limits, so it is possible to get unique color combinations. One of the most popular brands of the preparation is Plasti Dip (produced in USA), Dip Team (Russia) Rubber Paint (Russia-China), Carlas. The most famous among car enthusiasts is Plasti Dip, but also the most expensive. If you paint individual parts – you can choose cheaper.
No special knowledge is required for application of liquid rubber:
- The surface to be painted needs to be washed, dirt cleaned from the crevices, dried and degreased.
- Those parts that do not require painting should be covered with a suitable material (paper adhesive tape).
You can paint the machine at the service or do the work yourself (if you have basic skills).
PLUSES AND MINUSES
Before using this progressive substance, it is worth assessing the possible result.
- Protection of the treated surface against minor damage. A layer of liquid rubber keeps the paint underneath, but can itself be damaged by being hit by a stone, touching another vehicle, or scratching.
- Easy to apply. Anyone can coat the car with this product.
- Easy to remove. If the rubber layer is outdated or simply no longer relevant, it can be easily removed without the use of special tools and devices.
- Low application costs.
- Quickness of coating compared to painting or vinyl film.
- Quick repair, for which you do not need to completely repaint the car part with damage. Cheap local repair is possible.
- You can quickly update some auto parts such as rims or plastic inserts in the interior.
- Liquid rubber does not prevent you from washing your car in any way.
- The surface has high aesthetic characteristics and is even pleasant to the touch.
The following disadvantages should be noted:
- The service life of the liquid rubber layer is not too long. Despite its high protective properties, the coating is not able to resist the environment itself, so it will eventually get scratches, abrasions and other defects. The branded coating with careful handling can last up to 3 years. If operation is not careful, the service time will be reduced to 1 year or even less.
- Low durability. Liquid rubber does not resist aggressive influences, therefore it can be damaged in case of strong blows, scratches, collisions.
- The quality and service life of liquid rubber coating is affected by exposure to solvents and oil refining products. The layer is damaged by gasoline, diesel fuel and bitumen. Some motorists claim that the rubber coating can be protected from damage by “chemistry” and covered with a layer of special varnish.
Evaluating the quality of liquid rubber and its practicality, we can safely argue that the time of operation and preservation of appearance depends largely on the brand of the product itself and the careful treatment of the car owner.
HOW TO PAINT RUBBER WITH YOUR OWN HANDS
- You can do it yourself if you follow the following rules:
- Carry out painting at a temperature of about +15-20 oC.
- Carry out operations at low humidity – in a dry room and good weather.
- In the room for painting should be clean – dust penetration on the painted surface can spoil the coating.
- Apply the next coat only after the previous one has dried completely.
- To obtain a good protective coating, 3 to 5 coats should be applied. Plus a protective varnish.
With the right job done, the liquid rubber will last a long time and protect the car perfectly. Besides monochrome coloring, you can get various color effects (metallic, nacre, chameleon). Coating with a special lacquer will complete the work, increase the reliability of the layer and give a pronounced shine.